Day 21: A Favorite Recipe(s)

I like to cook. A lot. I also like to watch cooking shows (and cable cooking channels.) Every once in a while I'll do a true recipe. Usually though, like with ones below, I wing it. Tweaking it each time I make it, until I hit on the basis of a good recipe that I will rarely follow exactly. For me a recipe is more like someone saying we're going to this area of NE Richardson. I have a general idea of where I want to go, approximately, and the freedom to get there however I want. Below are a few recipes that I do quite a bit and are pretty damn dog good.

aboynamedstu's ramen noodle hot pot
This is one of my big go-to meals. I usually make it just for myself since it's so freaking hot and spicy and it's vegetarian. You could easily add some sort of meat if you wanted. As well as switch out veggies to what you like. It's quick and easy. And damn good.

1. Package of ramen noodle (Sans the flavor bag. That shit will kill you)
2. 2-3 Garlic Cloves
3. Half of small onion finely diced
4. Couple of carrots cut small (for quicker cooking time)
5. Couple of pieces of celery (cut small)
6. Couple pieces of broccoli (cut small)
7. A roma tomato (quartered)
8. Soy sauce (or teriyaki sauce)
9. Garlic Red Chili Sauce or Sriracha Red Rooster hot chili sauce
10. Red curry paste (I get hot)
11. Water
12. Oil
13. Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: While cooking the ramen noodles per instructions on the package (I generally pull them out a minute before I should) cut up your veggie ingredients. When the ramen noodles are done, drain them, and leave them in your draining device. Wipe your pot dry and put it back on your stove on high heat. After the pot is smokin' hot, add couple tablespoons of oil. Then add your onions, garlic and celery. Add a little salt and pepper and cook a minute or so, then add the carrots (which should be cut small to cook quicker.) Cook another minute or two, stirring the entire time. Then add the broccoli (also cut small) and cook another minute or so. While that is cooking get a small bowl and add (to taste) soy sauce (I'd guess I use a tablespoon or two,) garlic chili paste (probably 2 to 3 tablespoons because i like it hot,) and the red curry paste (I use a tablespoon.) Mix it together adding a little water so you get a half pint or so of liquid. Then dump that into your hot pot, stir, and cover for a few minutes. When your veggies are getting soft (I like mine with some crunch left) add your cut up Roma Tomato and cook for about a minute (adding more water or soy sauce if its getting to dry.) Once the tomato is good and hot and losing their juice, add the ramen noodles to the pot and stir like crazy so they won't stick. After a few seconds, I turn the stove off, and keep stirring, hard, to mix up all the ingredients and to coat the noodles with the sauce and distribute the veggies thru the entire dish. When done, serve in a big ass bowl and eat.

aboynamedstu's chocolate river
I don't really eat much dessert. Never had it as aboynamedstu growing up in Oklahoma. Unless for the holidays. My Boy(s) feel that each meal isn't complete without dessert. This is something that I concocted to trick up dessert which they love. If you got spawn, give it a try, your kids will go ape-shit.

1. Ice cream of your choice (1 1/2 to 2 scoops, we usually use rocky road)
2. Cone of your choice (sugar is ours)
3. Chocolate syrup (carmel will work too, as will strawberry)

Directions: Scoop your ice cream as normal into your cone, making sure you pack the first scoop tight (it will be your 'floor'). Be careful that you don't break or crack the cone. Once packed tight, add second scoop. Turn on warm water and let it run over your index finger for a few minutes. Once warm stick your index finger into the center of the ice cream pushing down slowly until you get to the packed first scoop. Remove your finger and take your chocolate syrup and fill the finger hole up with chocolate which is the chocolate river. From there you can trick it up as you like. The Elder Boy likes to sprinkle sprinkles all over the exterior of his ice cream whereas the Younger Boy likes the basic chocolate river. He's more a purist. I've also shoved candy into the finger hole, busted up cookies, and whipped cream. The sky is the limit really. Have fun, 'cause isn't that what dessert is all about?

Until I BLOG again...Warm my mind near your gentle stove.

Comments

  1. Seems you are a freestyler like Chad. Am I jealous? Absolutely.

    I am guessing Chad will be trying this recipe anyday now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts