Slowly fade away

Mom always joked that her Mom would outlive her.  Which as it were, or is, turned out to be true.  

Not to imply I wish my Grandma were dead.  Or that I'd take out my Grandma to save my Mom.  

Thankfully we don't get those choices in life.  Instead we get the choice of how to live the life we're dealt.  Which is my long winded way of saying that to date, my Grandma has been swindled out of close to $15,500.  Which depending on who and where you are may sound like a lot (or not that much) money.  For my Grandma though, it is a lot.  Damn near 25% of her savings, gone, in the blink of eye.  Stolen in my name.  

This story starts with a voice mail from Grandma that was two and half words.  The half word, mid sentence, was cut in half because Grandma started talking before the beep on my voice mail.  Which is usual.  My Grandma's phone skills are last century.  The woman has never owned an answering machine, let alone navigate the world of smart phones and computers.  I have a theory that Granda doesn't like to leave much of her voice on tape.  I likened it to indians not wanting their pictures taken, for fear it would steal their souls. But the sad truth is that the future is now, and Granda was left behind.  

After listening to her message, I girded my loins, took a deep breath, and called her back.

"Hi Grandma.  You called?  What's up?"

"I tried to call that guy you wanted me to call back to send the money but I can't get through."

No hello.  
No how's the weather.  
No I'm confused or upset.

Just right into something I had absolutely no knowledge about.

"Granda, I didn't call you about calling any guy or sending any money," I said.  "What's going on?"

"You know, you called, and told me to call that guy, but the number doesn't work," she said.

"I didn't call you Grandma," I explained.  "Or ask you to call some guy."

"I can't get through to him," she said.  "The number doesn't work."  

"Ok," I said.

"So I can't send him the money you wanted," she finished.  

"Ok,"

"I can't call him like you asked."  

"Grandma, I didn't ask you to call anyone.  That was someone else.  Not me.  You are confused or they are trying to scam you."  I told her.

"We better call the bank."  She said.

"Calling a bank isn't that easy Grandma.  You can't just call the local branch anymore.  It's all toll free numbers that are automated."  I explained.

"Call that lady at the bank."  She told me.

On, and on, and on.  Circle after circle.  The conversation went until we realized that she had wired nearly $15,500 to someone in NYC who said they were me, or were calling on my behalf.

Fast forward a few weeks and she again called me.

"I can't get through to that number you want me to call."  She said.

"It wasn't me Grandma.  That's not me calling you."  I explained.

"Ok.  But I can't get through to the number you wanted me to call."  She said.

Mom always joked that her Mom would outlive her.  Which as it were, or is, turned out to be true.  

And not very funny at all.

Until I BLOG again...I heard you say.

Comments

Popular Posts