Paper in Fire


"Claiming someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being mad at someone for eating a donut because you're on a diet."  As seen on the internets.

The online world is ablaze with Obama's coming out of the proverbial closet and taking a stand (or at least picking a side) on gay marriage.  

Meanwhile, my father-in-law has been pounding the internets via email about the Methodist Church's unwillingness to reverse their stance that being gay is some how morally wrong.  

I am, and have always been fascinated by what I dub, the business of God.  How a church or pastor walks that fine line between doing what they feel is righteous without polarizing their flock in such a way that the whole things comes down like a house of cards.  

My father-in-law's stance was our Methodist Church advertises itself as being open minded, spiritually progressive, etc.  And for the most part it is.  On the other hand it is part of a larger body of Methodist Church which isn't as open minded or spiritually progressive.  At least not enough to accept homosexuals in an honest and up front way.  And the rub, for my father-in-law at least, is that decision is forced down upon his open and progressive church.  

I tend to be apolitical with these type of things.  I feel like people are going to think what they think on a subject and talking about it isn't going to do anything but anger them. Or me.

I know what I believe.  Which might not be what you believe.  And that's OK. Or is it?  

Comments

Popular Posts