Play That Funky Music

I'm full of what if I did this, or that, type scenarios.  Creating situations to see what will arise.  Not sure why. Maybe it is an only child thing.  I spent a lot of time alone as a kid, and had to amuse myself.  Or maybe it's my sick sense of humor.  I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is, going to the church Youth Halloween costume Party as Jesus is probably a bad idea.  Going as Zombie Jesus, probably worse.

I tell you that for this.  I can (and do) censor myself most of the time.  Whatever I miss though, well, that job often falls to My Lovely Bride. To censor.  Me.  Which is why I was stoked when she said yes to this:

"What if we brought white bread to multi-cultural night at the school?"

She even upped the ante by adding butter to our mix and doing a sign that read: White Bread & Butter, USA. 

Most found our white bread funny, even if not all found it funny for the same reason.  Half got the white = white joke in the political correct context I had intended.  While others thought it was a funny commentary on today's busy and hectic life. 

The best reaction however, happened before we even walked into the joint.  A sixth grader, who knows my wife quite well (from her time teaching at said school) saw me following the team into the school carrying a bag.

"What did you bring to multi-cultural night?" He asked.

I learned later that he had brought pupusas as he is of Salvadoran descent.

"We brought white bread."  I said.  "And butter. Or actually margarine."

"White bread?" He said.  "That's racist."

"Why is that racist?" I asked.  "I am white."

I should note that this kid reminds me very much of Boy #2, or as I imagine Boy #2 when he's in the sixth grade.  Friendly, poised and a little mischievous.  My Lovely Bride loves the kid. Thinks he's really cool.  He's that kind of kid, which is why he smiled at me.  Sizing me up, I think to see if I was messing with him. 

Finally he said, "You are white."

It was my turn to smile.

"Yes. I am.  Very white." I agreed.

Until I BLOG again...And just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted...

Comments

Popular Posts