Bookends

I cried. Not once, or twice, but thrice during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2. Not that you could hear. Boy #2 was loudly munching on a huge tub of popcorn (what he doesn't yet understand is that my allowing him to have control of the popcorn is a testament of my love for him.)

I cried during the Snape back story memory thing. When Harry finally learns his true motives. I cried when Harry gets the resurrection stone and is able to talk to his Mom, Dad, Sirius Black and Lupin. Finally, and probably most importantly, I cried because I was sitting next to Boy #2 and had a view of Boy #1 who was sitting with his Mom below us (the theatre was pretty full when we arrived and we couldn't sit together.)

You see BLOG reader, I went and saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on December 7, 2001 at The Studio Movie Grill in Plano for Joanie Pond's birthday. My Lovely Bride was not in attendance, because she was very pregnant with Boy #1 who would arrive roughly a day short of six weeks in what was then the Buck Rogers future.

Life moves fast. Recurrent theme with me. Yes. But fuck me, watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 version of Harry juxtaposed with the flash back version of Harry from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone made life moves fast palpable in a way that is hard to explain beyond saying that it brought tears.

Watching Boy #1—who looks so big and so much like my Mom—in the reflected light of the screen while sitting by Boy #2 loudly munching on popcorn that I wanted for myself is about as good as it can get for aboynamedstu. I'm a dipshit. And I do suck in real time. But every once in a while, as they say, a blind squirrel gets a nut. And I got mine in a theater in Plano, Texas on a hot Saturday morning which also happened to be my 17th wedding anniversary.

Until I BLOG again...Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you.

Comments

  1. You would think after reading your posts for all these years I would have gotten past my need for clever comments but I haven't. If this were on FB I could click the Like button or type LOVE THIS next to it but a comment box seems to require me articulate my feelings and response to this post. But I can't cuz I suck in Comment Time so for now:

    I hit the like button.
    Mary Kate Leonard Martin LOVES THIS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts