See The Light

I was a part of confirmation this past Sunday. At church. The confirmation class, 6th grade, is one that I know well. I was their Sunday school shepherd their 4th grade year. Then I was one of their two Sunday school teachers in their 5th grade year. This year, I was a mentor, and didn't have as active of a role in their confirmation class (by choice I should add.)

But because of my history, and their fondness for me (and me of them,) I was asked to be a part of their confirmation ceremony. This is when they graduate from the children's program into the youth program. They become members of the church in a very moving ceremony after completing a year of learning pretty much all you'd ever need to know about being a Methodist.

I tell you that for this.

I've had a few people question why I wasn't acknowledged along with the people who taught their confirmation class during the ceremony.

And while I appreciate the fact that those who are asking genuinely care about me, enough to be upset that I wasn't recognized, I'm bewildered as to why they think I would want (or need) to be acknowledged in the first place.

I don't write that to come off as some kick-ass altruistic cat who doesn't give a shit about things of the ego. I have an ego the same as you there reading this now. Being recognized though, never crossed my mind. To the point of wondering after being asked if I was upset, if I should be upset, that I wasn't recognized.

I was even asked at the potluck luncheon if I wanted to be recognized in front of the group. I quickly said no. My Lovely Bride (who was sitting across from me) said yes. I think this confused the lady asking the question.

So here I am, days later, pondering being recognized as I face the decision on whether or not I'll join this group in the youth program next year (as a youth counselor.) It's a big decision. Because of the time factor.

What do I want out of this. Or. Why do I do this?

I'm not certain.

I think the reward is getting fulfillment out of doing a thing you love. For me, being a small part of their lives, and traveling with them on their journey is something I love.

To do it out of sense of obligation or worse, in order to be recognized, is to miss the point entirely.

Or so aboynamedstu thinks.

Which ain't saying much. Really. Considering what an epic dipshit I am (and can be.)

Until I BLOG again...But it's gone forever, But never too late, Where the ever after, Is in the hands of fate.

Comments

Popular Posts