Out on the ocean

I have a friend. Let's call him Big Boy.  Mainly because I often call him Big Boy.  Big Boy has a Facebook page. And Big Boy posts various things on this page. Often political.  Sometimes philosophical.  Like a recent Sunday morning straw poll where he asked this: Do you think you would be happier if your faith were stronger?

I tell you that, for this.  The question (which I didn't even comment on) was the proverbial bell that produced this, bad, BLOG post.

In early September I was at work registering, online, for a charity golf tournament.  This charity golf tournament was all about raising money to eradicate a flavor of cancer.  At some point I stopped registering, stuck in my own moment and thinking how September had become more Green Day than Earth, Wind & Fire to me. Every since 2006, when my Mom started her slow sad slide to death. Wake me when September ends, indeed.

You see BLOG Reader, I had another friend. Let's call him Bill.  Because that was his name. Bill died in May. Fucking cancer.  I spoke at Bill's memorial in June.  Helped his family plan the memorial in regard to the music for the slide show in fact.  Fast forward to September and I was in the process of registering to play in that charity golf tournament that was trying to raise money to help the fight against the flavor of cancer that Bill died from.

After getting unstuck in my own moment I went back to filling out the form to play in this golf tournament.  At the end of the form I came to a part that asked if I wanted my team / donation to be in someone's honor or memory.  Alas, I picked memory.  And Bill.  Which prompted the website to ask if I would like to let Bill's family know.  Knowing Bill's wife, I figured she'd like to know, so I picked yes.  And K.  This prompted the website to ask for their address.

Only I couldn't remember their street number.  And I didn't want to call K and ask her.  Which is why I decided to use the power of the internets to help.  I'd been to Bill's house dozens of time. And knew the street so I figured I could go to Google maps, get in the general area, zoom in, and then do their street view thing to read his street number and be done.

After a few clicks I was on Bill's street slowly using Google's magic finger thing to claw my way down his street.  When I got to his pad, easily recognized by his circular drive, I went to street view where I could see the actual picture, and tried to zoom in on his curb. Nothing.  So I panned up and was going to zoom into his door. Only I was stopped. In my tracks by Bill himself.  Seriously.  Check it out.  I'll wait.

This is where it gets weirder.

As I was staring, slack jawed at Bill (that's K behind him) frozen in Google amber my iTunes DJ, who I'm going to start calling Carl (Jung), decided to play If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett.  Over 4,000 songs to play in my library and Carl plays a song, that I only have, because I purchased it for Bill's Memorial Slide Show because Bill picked it himself for his memorial.  In fact per the play counter, up until that very moment, If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett had never even played on my iTunes.

Do you think you would be happier if your faith were stronger?

Fucking  capital a,  yes. And hard.  Only. I'm not really sure what to do to make it stronger.  Even with all the bizarre shit that has happened to me. Synchronistic shit. Shit that makes you appreciate how funny life truly is. Saul into Paul shit.  I still struggle.  Hard.

And I miss Bill.

Until I BLOG again...But I would not scare my pony on my boat out on the sea.

Comments

Popular Posts