Stories for Boys

In the pre-cable-non-church going days of my youth I often watched The Lewis Meyer Bookshelf on Sunday mornings. Odd. Considering my age (8ish.) I have an especially vivid memory of watching Lewis Meyer on Ground Hog's Day one year and Lewis Meyer (who was a creepy looking dude) talking about the tradition of Ground Hog's Day and wondering if the giant rodent had seen his shadow that year. The fact that Lewis Meyer had no clue is for me a wonderful time capsule memory of how slow information flowed in my youth. I miss those pre-cable-24/7 news-internet information overload days of yore.

I also have vivid memories of wrestling with religion while watching Lewis Meyer on those Sundays. You see BLOG reader, the entire reason I watched Lewis Meyer was because it was the only thing on besides televised church services on those Sunday mornings. The wrestling part comes from the fact that I was troubled by the fact that we didn't attend church in a formal sort of way which my 8 year old version thought was tantamount to going to hell. I'd even try to watch the religion shows from time to time. But was always so bored by them that I'd up watching Lewis Meyer get all torqued up about the latest book he had read.

Memories are funny. All of the above I got when I was looking over the below list of what I've read in 2010.

1000 White Women: The Journal of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
The WIld Girl by Jim Fergus
Maharanis by Lucy Moore
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Julie & Julia by Julie Powell
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lighting Thief by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis
The Lizard King by Jerry Hopkins
Generation Kill by Evan Wright
Jarhead by Anthony Swoffard
A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Whiteout by Ken Follett
I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osborne
Code to Zero by Ken Follett
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
LIe Down with Lions by Ken Follett
The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

Until I BLOG again...Sometimes the hero takes me, Sometimes I can't let go.

Comments

Popular Posts